Improved Development Technique

Over the years I have learned many things about photography.  The most important I feel is that I’ve learned patience and have learned to properly develop my digital photography.  Photo development may sound easy and in some cases it is.  I have learned a few steps to make it easier and more accurate and I continue to strive to learn more through experimentation.  The images below give you an example of what I’m talking about.

[singlepic id=50 w=320 h=240 float=left]  Such delicious looking red berries.  This is the original Photograph, taken at Miller Park Zoo in Bloomington, Illinois with Nikon D60 using f/8 at 1/320sec under manual focus.   This turned out to be one of my better shots in terms of balance, focus, luminosity, and tonal range.  There are no burned out highlights and no lost shadows that challenged what I was shooting for.  The seed falling down the left third of the image just turned out to be a bonus.  Given the balance of the shot and tonal range while I took numerous shots in case I needed to HDR I didn’t feel this image really required it.

[singlepic id=49 w=320 h=240 float=right] This is the same photograph after developing it using ‘The Gimp’.   The adjustments were simple and small.  Very little was needed to revitalize this photo.  The adjustments were made in the levels for intensity.  I also adjusted the curves to achieve the desired brightness and contrast, while maintaining accurate color.  The final adjustment was saturation. I did max out the saturation to bring the bold colors to their extreme.

Over 50% of what I adjusted on this photograph was not known to me a year ago.  I look forward to seeing what I will accomplish tomorrow and over the next year.

This entry was posted in Flora, Landscapes, Photography and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.